Sunday, October 17, 2010

Glee Gay Guy

I admit it, I like Glee, Fox' s high school musical drama about a glee club and it's odd group of talented singers. It's a guilty pleasure, and there are episodes I've hated (think Britney Spears) but very often the drama is compelling and the musical performances outstanding.

I am, of course, taken with Kurt, the gay boy played by Chris Colfer (left). In the latest episode he says to his father "I am the only openly gay kid at school, in this town."  What a gutsy moment for a teenager on an American TV show. Everyone involved with Glee is to be commended for developing an honest and positive portrayal of a gay teen. With any luck there are gay kids across America feeling a bit better about themselves because of Colfer's  character.

But I've been thinking about my own experience in high school and wondering what more Fox might do to take this show to the next level. Although I had my first gay sexual experience between junior and senior year, I was not gay in high school and I was never taunted or made fun of. In fact, I was, mostly, one of the popular kids. I dated girls, played basketball after school and wasn't effeminate. My sexuality had been mostly non-existent until I was 17 and I was a virgin till I was 20.

I think about all the gay kids out there today who don't fit the Kurt mode. The kids more like me, and those even more advanced in their coming out process. The football players, head cheerleaders, rock guitarists, student body presidents -- all the straight-looking, straight-acting kids who are keeping a secret. Where's the role model for them?

When the cute-as-a-button Chord Overstreet (right) joined the cast recently I hoped his character was gay. THAT would be another giant leap forward. Anyone looking at the Glee kids and asked to pick out the gay boy would surely pick out Kurt easily. Why not add a gay character who's not so obvious? That would send another message to America: we are not always who you think we are and we are not always effeminate boys and butch girls. We come in all styles and are ordinary people, just like you.

I am very proud of Fox for having the guts to do what they've done with Glee. I look forward to the show developing even more characters of varied stripes.

Footnote: how do you explain the different worlds Fox TV's entertainment and news divisions travel in? You got me.

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember the gay outing in Buffy? Not Willow, but the bullying football player who thought he was being outed by Xander (and who thought Xander was gay also)? I thought that was great. It actually fits here as well.

    As for Fox, the Entertainment end is where they make their money, so they do what gets ratings.

    The so-called "News" arm is the political department. They are ideological and the two have no connection whatsoever, as far as I can tell. Otherwise, Family Guy wouldn't be on Fox. It skewers Right Wingers pretty regularly.

    Not different worlds, different universes.

    ReplyDelete