Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An Evening of Rock and Roll and Tears

I don't remember exactly how I celebrated my 33rd birthday. I was working in Lynchburg, Virginia, as one of the Assistant Managers of Charley's Restaurant. Likely I ate dinner there, drank too much and went home. I now know where I wish I had been.

I wish I had been in New York's Central Park for the first concert by Simon and Garfunkel in eleven years. They were at the top of their form and had managed to bury the hatchet well enough to give an exceptional concert for the half million fans who jammed the park that night.

I wasn't there, but last night I watched the video from that concert and was instantly transported back to the 60s and 70s, listening to songs that are a big part of the soundtrack of my life. I've written before about how important music is to me and last night Simon and Garfunkel formed part one of an intense musical evening.

I choked up a bit when they sang The Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water and sat amazed by the band as they closed with a kick-ass Late in the Evening, a Paul Simon song, one of many they did together. Simon and Garfunkel only released five albums but I know each of those albums word for word and cherish virtually every song on them. I Am a Rock has particular meaning in my life and For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her still makes me shiver. 

Part two of my musical evening was spent with the family and friends of George Harrison as I watched The Concert for George, performed on November 29, 2002, the first anniversary of his death. Recorded at Royal Albert Hall and led by Eric Clapton, it is one of the very best concerts I have ever seen on video. From an absolutely stunning opener by Anouska Shankar (Ravi's daughter) to an emotionally overwhelming My Sweet Lord and Wah Wah, it is a perfect concert and a loving tribute to the man known as "the quiet Beatle." Jeff Lynne, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty and others add to the festivities and Billy Preston's vocals on My Sweet Lord are simply killer.

Perhaps the most mesmerizing presence on stage though is Dhani Harrison, George's son and a guitarist in his own right. He mainly plays back-up until the aforementioned My Sweet Lord and Wah Wah, when the energy and emotion of the night seem to take hold of him and release his passion. It is really something to see and had me in full-out tears.

Like Simon and Garfunkel, the Beatles are a key part of my musical upbringing and George's contributions, while not as epic as John and Paul's, are not to be ignored. Consider: he wrote Here Comes the Sun, Something, Tax Man, I Need You, If I Needed Someone, and Within You, Without You, as well as Photograph with and for Ringo. And he wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps, maybe his best, and certainly one of the Beatles' best. It is played here in a scorching version that features three of the original players: Ringo on drums, Paul on piano and vocals and Eric Clapton on guitar, recreating one of the most iconic sounds of all Beatles records.

It was a great concert and a wonderful way to spend a Monday night. After hearing Pat Metheny live on Saturday night I've had a generous share of guitar music these last few days and am happier for it.

LLR!

No comments:

Post a Comment