Monday, March 22, 2010

A step forward


So health care reform has passed. I think this is a good thing, though I freely admit to not knowing exactly what the bill will do, and I am quite certain it will do some things that no one expects. That is the way of laws.

Personally, I am in favor of socialized medicine. The people of Scandinavia and the Netherlands tend to pay the highest taxes and are among the happiest people in the world. Got that? They pay the HIGHEST taxes and yet are HAPPY. They understand that only the government can equitably provide support for everyone. What's so wrong with that idea?

Now I know many people -- probably most Americans --  would shudder to read what I just wrote. But I see that as part of our century old "we are the best and everything we do is best" mentality. A mentality that brought us the Great Depression and the financial meltdown of the last few years.

Yes, we are a great country. Yes, we do many things right. But we have sacrificed our ideals in the pursuit of money. Greed motivates most decision makers these days. Greed motivates the insurance companies, the banks, Wall Street firms and, in truth, most of us. Me too. I stand guilty.

Only when we realize that we need to look out for each other and that helping mankind is more important than making money will things get better.

Why is this blog entitled "As a Cynic Sees It'? Because I don't think we'll do that. Things will not get better. Passage of health care is a good thing, but the bitter fight it entailed, and the fact that the vote was strictly along party lines, does not bode well for the future.

We are a great country.  But we used to be better. Our time as king of the hill is over. Sad.

3 comments:

  1. What will it take for our leadership to understand that they are there to lead? When we elect a President, it's a contentious battle. But after it happens, we stand behind our leader and support him. They need to understand that.

    I love a good rant. Didn't have your blog address, but now thanks to our mutual friend I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good rant. I love a well written rant even better. Guess I'll be coming back to your blog again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My representative was one of the Democrats who voted against it. I am going to look into his campaign finances and see how much he took from the insurance sector. It is so pathetic to care more for the profits of a portion of the economy (parasites though they be) than the health and well being of the individuals who comprise the body politic.

    I will be voting for someone else, maybe even a Republican. Hell, at least with a Republican I KNOW what I am getting. And I have not voted for a Republican ever....

    ReplyDelete