Sunday, March 14, 2010

Always different

My friend Don suggested I start a blog; seemed like a good idea as I have long thought that the world would be a better place if only everyone thought as I did.

That's a joke.

Sorta.

So what do I mean by "always different"?  Well, the picture says a lot. Two of my favorite possessions: the license plate from my very first car, and the flag that covered my Dad's coffin when he was buried at Arlington.  Dad: an Army Colonel, decorated in Korea - notice the medal at the top of the case; me: a long-haired, hippie freak. Different.

Or take the fact that I was brought up a good Catholic boy, made mostly A's in high school, went to college at Notre Dame but never graduated and never had a serious career.  Compared to many of my contemporaries: different.

Or the fact that I love opera and dance, go to the theatre often and have never, ever watched a Super Bowl. Different.

Or the fact that I'm gay.

Or that I've never seen "American Idol" or any other reality show - except, I'm embarrassed to admit, the first season of "Survivor." Or I never saw ER, the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Dallas, Friends and countless other popular TV shows.

Or that I have a husband and three dogs.

Now of course I know there are plenty of gay men out there who never really had a career and love dogs and not football - but they, like me, are different.  Different from the "norm."  Just sayin' - I'm not a typical American man of the 20th and 21st centuries.

This blog will explore some of the history that makes me different, some of the thoughts that separate me from (some of) the rest of you - and maybe even some of the ways we are alike.  If I write well enough, I will make you chuckle, inspire you, make you angry or at least make you feel that you've spent a worthwhile few minutes with me.  That's my hope anyway.  I am many things, but few would say I am boring.  I think.

No, I know.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! You are at the top of the list of those who are certain to say something I will find interesting, and many others will, as well.

    -dd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring is most definitely not a word I would use to ever describe you...but that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. You a cynic?? Love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect your readers as well as you yourself will discover that many of us are "different." I'm an English teacher. Do I look like I have a motorcycle license? Rhetorical question for those who don't know me... no, I don't.

    So while I'll enjoy your reflections because I love you (I really do), I'm not expecting anything truly alien. It's such a g.d. cliche, but anyone who cares about you--hello, anyone invited to read your blog, a.k.a. everyone--will celebrate the differences. It's what makes you and each of us interesting and engaging and fun to be with. Just sayin'...
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cousin,
    I really do love a good novel, especially one about families. While reading your blog today, I was reflecting, remembering, smiling and connecting to our past. Your blog, or I as am calling it, your novel, is so engaging, that I am anxiously anticipating the next entry. You do have a way with words! One last thought for today...I thought that everyone was supposed to be different. Just look around.
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I already have my brackets filled out and you barely know what one is, we are very different! I look forward to your next post.
    You write beautifully!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to filling in some gaps in my knowledge of you. Each of us shows different facets to each person in their lives.

    Your differences make you you. It is what I have always cherished about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John of the Cousin Anne homesteadMarch 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM

    Walter,
    Your tales of the "4E" clan will be welcome; as the stories when gathered are always fascinating, sometimes contradictory in recollections and the real encounters made for even better fun and laughs. I thought your profile would include "chef", as I enjoyed my first ever steamed live lobster at your "cabin". That weekend is always one of the top family stories. Perhaps added visits to Rochester in the "wild west beyond the Hudson" could cure the liberal profile. Sans super bowl talk, do you plan to include a prognosis on ND's return to glory, without Charlie?
    VR,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blog on ... I'll be reading. Thanks for the invite!

    Erica (Spokane, WA)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far, so good! You have me hooked...for now. Keep it coming or going.

    ReplyDelete