Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not always a cynic


I think it was Myles Connolly who said that one of the minor pleasures of affection is the voicing of it. Maybe not his exact words, but that's the sentiment. I have long agreed with the sentiment. I just spent a couple of hours today re-connecting with an old friend by reading through his blog. His name is David and I am here to say to him and the world: I love you, David, and am honored to call you my friend. I am also moved by the depth of your soul and your willingness to plumb that depth.

Friends have always been extraordinarily important to me. David was an employee who became a friend. We live on separate coasts and since he left Yale I've only seen him once, at his wedding (picture above). But none of that matters because we touched each other's hearts. Once given, love can not be taken back. It can change, it can die even, but nothing can change the reality of the time that it was given.

Growing up an Army brat I faced a choice: to be friendly and try to get along with everyone but not get too close because soon enough they, or I, would leave, and the pain of separation would be too hard to bare -- OR -- to jump right in because we don't have a lot of time to waste, so let's start being friends right now, today. You can guess my decision. I have been blessed many times over: Ricky, Gary, Will, Don, Artie, Chuck, Charlie, Brian, Chris, Steve, John . . . and that's just in the first 18 years of my life. David is therefore one of many, but he is also very, very special.

1 comment:

  1. I'm honored to make an appearance in your blog, and to be considered a valuable friend in your life. In a recent post, I wrote:

    "I am struck by the thought that, in many respects, we are all similarly ignorant of our importance to the bigger picture. We live because it is our instinct to do so, rarely realizing the impact this function of biology has on the world around us. Life is just what we do. Yet, if we are ever lucky enough to be gifted with greater perception, we might realize there are people to whom our survival matters. In the damp and despair of darkness, they hope for our happiness. And, when it blooms, their lives are better for it."

    I'm sure I speak for most of your newly loyal readers when I say that, though we all love the cynic in you, we pray you realize how much impact you have on us...and that that brings you joy.
    Now get back to it. Somewhere in the country, someone is saying something stupid, and we need you to give us some perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete