Sunday, March 21, 2010

Protecting marriage

Sally (my "best man"), me, Rev. Kate, Ransom, Jason (Ransom's best man)


Ransom and I were married on October 5, 1996, in a non-religious ceremony presided over by a minister and attended by all the parents, a couple of brothers, a couple of cousins and 30+ friends. We shared vows and rings and fĂȘted everyone at a reception afterwards. It was everything you might want a wedding no be. Except legal.

Eleven years later Connecticut allowed same-sex couples to enter into legally binding civil unions, so we did that. In front of just a few friends we were civilly unionized (?) by one of the ministers at the church I attended at the time.

Two-and-a-half years later the CT laws had changed again and so we were officially, legally, married, again at our house. Sally, who had been my "best man" in 1996 came up from Virginia to stand by me again; her wonderful son Isaac was there too.

So I ask you: how has anything Ransom and I have done attacked the "sanctity of marriage"? We have demonstrated our commitment to each other over 24 years. We have three time publicly professed that commitment. 50% of straight marriages end in divorce. Tell me: who is in fact compromising the sanctity of marriage?

1 comment:

  1. I, who have been married twice, think you two are as good a role model as I know. Certainly I am not.

    I guess you compromise the "sanctity" of marriage the same way the "public option" would compromise insurance, the same way public transportation has DESTROYED the automobile.

    Anyway, keep at it. Sorry I missed the last one. Will you have a 25th anniversary party?

    ReplyDelete