Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Lump in my Throat for Seven+ Minutes

Attila Joey Csiki (L) and Tobin Del Cuore in Lar Lubovitch’s Concerto Six Twenty-Two
Photo: Phyllis McCabe

Twenty-eight years after I first saw it, Lar Lubovitch's brilliant Concerto Six Twenty-Two still blows me away with its beauty and power, especially in the exquisite slow movement, a tender and powerful pas de deux for two men. It is, imho, the sweetest and most moving duet in all of modern dance.

I was at the New York premiere in 1986 at Carnegie Hall. Ransom conducted Solisti New York in an evening I have written about before (here). I have seen it again and again, perhaps a dozen times, maybe more. Today's performance by Juilliard Dance ranks right up there with the best I have ever seen. The entire cast was fine; in fact all the dancers I saw in all three pieces today were excellent. Robert Moore and Dean Biosca were perfectly matched in the central movement, whether touchingly supporting each other or showing off their solo moves.

In 1986 the idea of two men dancing a slow movement was novel; plenty of folks no doubt raised their eyebrows, but far more shouted "bravo" or, more properly, "bravi". Today the novelty may have worn off, but the emotion still rings true and still brings shouts of approval from the audience.

At today's performance I reacted to the masculinity of the men on stage, and the maleness of their movements. Not just the two wonderful soloists, but all the men moved with a grace and spirit that, while exuding all sorts of emotions, remained thoroughly masculine. 622 may feature a tender dance for two men, but it is not a "gay" dance; it is much, much more than that. It is about friendship and support and love; for me it is also about the brilliance that resides in creative people and it is my great honor to know Lar Lubovitch and to continue to support his work. And of course Concerto Six Twenty-Two is very special to me because of that Carnegie premiere with Ransom.

As it always does this brilliant choreographic achievement brought tears to my eyes, and a lump in my throat for the seven minutes of it's beautiful adagio.

You can see a version of the pas de deux here.

Note: also on today's program: Twyla Tharp's fun Baker's Dozen and Eliot Feld's brilliant The Jig Is Up. Both were exquisitely danced.



No comments:

Post a Comment