Saturday, June 1, 2013

What’s wrong with this ad?


I’m remembering a moment in a film --  Love! Valour! Compassion! maybe -- when a gay man goes nearly apoplectic after a younger gay man says that he loves Evita so much that he plays the soundtrack over and over. (He’s talking about the Broadway show, which had not yet been made into a movie when L!V!C! was filmed).

There ARE NO SOUNDTRACKS to Broadway musicals. There are Original Cast Recordings. Soundtracks are for movies.

Or at least they used to be.

A friend of mine went out for an evening’s entertainment the other night and enjoyed himself. There were actors on stage who also sang at times; there were energetic dancers who, my buddy said, were the best thing about the show. There were sets and costumes and there was music, of a sort.

Was it a play? Yes. Was it a musical? I’d say no.

A musical has all of the above: singing, dancing, acting, sets and costumes -- all on stage -- and an orchestra, or pit band, or combo or, at the very least, a pianist -- in the pit.

This show had loudspeakers.

And a pre-recorded soundtrack.

The company, one I respect and in fact have supported financially, made the decision to put on this show with no live musicians. They rented the “soundtrack” and the actors sang along.

My friend said it was diverting. The show is enjoying a sold-out run and may be extended. Audiences are largely enthusiastic.

I’m appalled. I’m married to a musician and I count many musicians among my friends and acquaintances. Most of them struggle to make a living: classical music doesn’t pay much and very few Americans ever attend concerts: studies show that only 10-15% of us go to  classical music events.

Many New York musicians wouldn’t survive were it not for the occasional Broadway gig they land. Broadway musicals are all about singing and dancing – and live musicians making music! To present a Broadway show but not use live music is sacrilegious.

A couple years ago I didn’t make it to intermission of a Broadway tour of West Side Story. The actor playing Tony was not great; Maria was worse. Still, we might have stayed but the sound coming from the pit was worse still: it was made by five musicians, four on keyboards and one on percussion. Not a string, wind or brass instrument to be heard. All electronic and all terrible. Loud and tinny, bright and empty. I thought to myself that this was a travesty and that things couldn’t get worse.


I was wrong. Singing along to a pre-recorded track is worse. I’m only glad I wasn’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment