Friday, June 7, 2013

Random Train Thoughts

I was sorry the other day I no longer have a decent phone; I wanted to take a picture I would have entitled “What’s Wrong with America.” I was on a Metro North train heading to the city. It was an old train and has four sets of ridiculous seats in every car: two facing two and two facing three. They’re so close together that you almost never see four or five people in them at a time; there’s just no room for legs.

What I saw that day was one guy, occupying a two/two section. He was large, maybe 275 pounds, and had several bags with him. He occupied one double seat; the bags covered the opposite seat. In this image was America in a nutshell: overweight and selfish, living with too much stuff.

It would have made a good picture.
----------
I don’t have a decent phone because I gave my iPhone 4 to Ransom, whose 4S was stolen in Brazil. He had one day before leaving for Texas and faced a six hundred dollar replacement charge, since he had only had his phone for a few months. It made sense to give him my 4, almost off contract. I ended up with an old Samsung flip phone: no address book, no calendar, no web access and tedious texting – at least it seems to work well as a phone.

I really flounder when I’m deprived of technology I’ve gotten used to. I was at the doctor Monday morning and he wanted to schedule a follow-up. “Just give me whatever you’ve got,” I said. “I’ll see if I’m available when I get back to my computer.” Without a phone I have no datebook. How can I cope?
----------
I sat on the train next to an extraordinarily beautiful young blond man. Of course I did not talk to him; that kind of beauty scares me.
----------
Finally, I have a Grenen watch. They’re made for Kohl's by Skagen, the Danish watchmaker. I love Skagen watches, and Grenens are acceptable alternatives. (Note: I will NOT spend a lot of money on a watch; the most expensive Skagen I ever bought was $100; Grenen watches are even cheaper). I need a new battery for mine, but Kohl’s doesn’t carry that watch anymore, so I found this website:


"Restoring Excellence to your Grenen Timepiece." Great, just what I need. Then I clicked on the "Get Started" link:

WTF?!



2 comments:

  1. That would've been [some] image...very telling of the majority of this country's citizens, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but your Grenen timepiece -- had they actually "restored excellence" to your Grenen timepiece-- would have been repaired using "genuine Grenen parts." What more could you ask, except that they did actually repair Grenen timepieces? They sound SO ... uh ... genuine.

    ReplyDelete