Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Nemo + 4


Most of you know that the name Chris is very special to me; Chris Shepherd was a boyfriend who died of AIDS back in the 90s. Even before I knew him I always loved that name. Back in the days when I thought I might have children to name I had settled on Sean Patrick, Michael Brendan and Christopher Scott – and Kelly Elizabeth if there were a girl.

The name Chris has now, alas, a new meaning. Villain. Liar. Breaker of Promises. Chris Ted has plowed snow for us for over three years. He’s been reliable, though it’s often been late in the day when he gets to us. I have never hassled him and I have paid our bills on time.

Chris Ted abandoned us this week. I waited all day Saturday for him to show up and when he didn’t I accepted the fact that this was an extraordinary storm and that he was doing the best he could. Sunday morning and afternoon came and went but he didn't. Then Sunday night he and his crew were next door, plowing our neighbor’s driveway. I was so happy I called Don in Richmond to tell him we were about to be delivered.

Those eggs didn’t hatch. After finishing next door the crew drove away. I texted Chris, very politely, and asked if we could expect him the next day. He replied, “yes.”

That was a lie. He did not come yesterday or last night. After waiting and waiting, and believing his promises, we were left high and dry. Or, more accurately, buried and stranded.

Some of you may know that my first boyhood friend was named Ricky. I am happy to say that we are still in touch occasionally and that that name still brings a smile to my face, for it was another Ricky who finally delivered us this morning. This Ricky works for Wrecking Eck of Mt. Airy, Maryland (!) and drove up here Saturday to help dig people out. (Special thanks to Ransom for finding these guys on Craigslist). I’m sure it was a business decision, and he charged us $250, but more to the point, he said he would be here, and he was. ($250, believe it or not, is not an exceptional amount; I don’t know what our guy would have charged us, but it may well have been as much).

So thanks to Ricky and his coworker, Ransom made it out of here today to teach at Purchase. Yale canceled classes again, so I am at home, but finally able to go to the store this afternoon.

Probably more than any human characteristic I value honesty above all else. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Thank you, Ricky, for helping me learn that 56 years ago, and thank you, Ricky, for showing me today that it still matters.

Saved by the men from Maryland!

Somewhere in that snow is my mailbox; may not find it til Spring


No comments:

Post a Comment