Friday, August 17, 2012

If that’s a cathedral, Walter must be traveling.


It is. I am.

I’m into my second day of exploring Glasgow and that’s, duh, Glasgow Cathedral on the left. Not terribly attractive from the outside; the centuries of industrial grime and the hideous 21st century scaffolding don’t help; and it’s not a wonderfully proportioned church either. The inside is something else though! Not spacious and airy like Amiens, or massive and huge like St. John the Divine, or tall like Köln, but, rather, ancient like no other cathedral I’ve been in. Although Durham (1093) actually predates Glasgow by over a century, this one (1197) feels older. Looks it too.

I walked up the hill to the cathedral from my hotel, which is on the same block as Central Station; walked back too. (See picture below; hotel is lower left; cathedral upper right; click here for Glasgow map). I noticed during all that walking that Glasgow has a lot of buses. A LOT of buses! Almost everyone I saw was moving via foot power or bus power. There were tons of parking spaces on the streets, for there were few cars.

I also noticed that I can’t walk like I used to. I am way slower and I pay a much steeper price.

I was approached three times by Glaswegians soliciting me; one from the Scottish Red Cross, one from Greenpeace and a third enlisting folks for a toilet tissue trial. (I don’t make this stuff up!) All three were fun to talk to and sorry I couldn’t help them, me being a Yank and all. What is it that makes Scots want to approach me? Doesn’t happen in the States.

Today’s hike took me to the Glasgow Green, along the River Clyde to the Auditorium and then inland to the Kelvingrove Art Galley and Museum. After a couple hours touring this quirky and fascinating place my feet were screaming to ride one of those buses back down the hill. So I did. Had my first (and only) fish and chips and headed back to the hotel to write this all down.

Tonight? Live music at a nearby club I’m hoping.


I know it's too dark: the DAY was too, but I can't resist a unicorn.

St. Andrew's Church; only open 2.5 hours a week; couldn't get in.

Glasgow's Catholic Cathedral; small for a cathedral, but lovely.

Inside the cathedral. I guess if the sermon's bad, you can turn on Meet the Press.

There's a modern building next to the cathedral; I loved the contrast.

The Glasgow Auditorium -- NOT modeled after the Sydney Opera House as many think.

This photo does not do justice to this beautiful Glasgow University building.

 This shows how much it rained today. I had to make a detour whilst walking this path; the dogs are happy though.

 The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Wonderful on the inside too.

The main hall inside. Note the organist giving a recital.

Note the organist's feet -- and hot red socks!

Who knew this Dalí lived in Glasgow?

This is an orchestrion. I had read about them, but never seen one in the flesh. (Not counting Pat Metheny's)

1 comment:

  1. A little surprised you didn't call it Saint Mungo's, since that is what it is known by locally.

    Did you see the lower church? THAT is old. They think there was a place of worship there LONG before the Cathedral was built, going back to Pagan days.

    Don't hurt yourself. Take the bus...

    ReplyDelete