Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Heading west, Day 2

Settling in for some sleep at La Quinta, Terre Haute, Indiana. Today was another longer-than-I-hoped driving day, but we got here at 7pm, an hour fifteen earlier than yesterday's drive. This time I shared the car with Cameron and found him just as enjoyable a companion as David was yesterday. We talked most of the way, with one break for music: I played him Blood, Sweat and Tears Child Is Father to the Man and, I'm happy to say, he loved it. You likely know the album; it's been in my Top 10 ever since it was released fifty-three years ago. Please check it out if you don't know it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvU-26A_s&list=PL8a8cutYP7fr8Cf7e3TBEECAp7RCrCp02

Within spitting distance of the hotel we found an excellent BBQ place and stuffed ourselves with chicken, brisket, ribs, burnt ends, potato salad, and cole slaw. Really, really good food and a great way to end the day. Ransom's now sharing a bottle of wine with the boys while I write this and get ready to sleep.

My friend Sally wrinkled her nose at the news we're at La Quinta. I don't understand that; it's long been a favorite of mine. Great rooms (see pics) and the best included breakfast out there. I wish we were at LQ every night.

Tomorrow: Springfield, MO, 488 miles from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment