Sunday, August 1, 2021

Final thoughts

It's late morning on Sunday, August 1; by this time tomorrow we should be rolling down the highway toward Pennsylvania and our first stop in Youngstown, OH. After that we stay in Terre Haute IN, Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, Grants NM, Phoenix AZ and then on to Palm Springs. The longest drive is Missouri to Texas, 545 miles; the rest are quite a bit shorter and even 545 is not a huge distance to cover with two drivers per car. (Have I already mentioned we're taking two of Ransom's students with us to share the driving?)

Some random thoughts on this last full day in Connecticut:

It was almost exactly 30 years ago we moved to CT. That's FAR LONGER than I've ever lived anywhere before. Being an Army family we moved around a lot and though I ended up in Richmond, VA, several times for a total of almost 17 years, the time in CT sets a record.

I've loved living in CT, and, until the last few years, have even loved the winters.

I've loved our house but HATE the stairs.

I will miss the proximity to New York and the opera, classical music and Broadway shows that NY represents.

I have a small and select group of friends whom I will miss very much.

I will miss living near my brother Raymond. We struggled a long time to get to a good place but we got there years ago and I am sad to lose the proximity.

I'm looking forward to the road trip. This will be the fifth time I've crossed the country by car and though we won't have time to make many extra stops, I know we'll see a lot and grasp once again the enormity of our country. (The other four trips were with my Dad at the wheel and in truth it was three and-a-half since one time we took a train from LA to Chicago before continuing to the east coast by car).

I'm worried about the resurgence of the virus and wonder whether we'll find outdoor dining everywhere we go or will be forced to eat takeout in the hotel room.

I'm sad that our country is so divided and that so many people are choosing not to get vaccinated. Driving the length of the country during a pandemic could be dangerous.

I'm looking forward to living in Palm Springs. First though we have to find a condo to buy and then unpack all of our (too much) stuff, a step that will be difficult.

I love my husband very much and look forward to this new part of our 35 year adventure. I'm glad we have Zack and Louie with us and I hope they will adjust quickly and easily. (As I write these words they are resting, one on the bed, one in his crate, while Ransom practices flute — it's a familiar and heart warming scene.

To my friends in CT and on the East Coast: this is not goodbye, but, rather, see you in a new place next time. Here, there or wherever. Be well, and remember the good times. I sure do.

RW, Zack and Louis resting yesterday at the hotel


1 comment:

  1. Such good wishes to both of you and good luck not to encounter too much extreme weather! xx

    ReplyDelete