Friday, January 8, 2016

Music heals

Ever since I can remember I have used music to further the healing process. Sometimes I would play up-tempo, happy music to distance myself from the pain; more often I would play stuff that I knew would make me cry – purgatory relief you might say.

This last week or so I’ve done both.

If there’s one song that “says” Don Dale, it’s Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me by Mel Carter. (Click on the title to give it a listen). It was a favorite of his since its release in 1965. If memory serves it was “our song” for him and Lee, a girl he dated back then. Another Don song was Nobody Knows What’s Going On In My Mind But Me – a mouthful of a title for an earful of wonderfully produced pop – turn it up loud for the instrumental break with its pounding drums and cascading harp.

On Wednesday music of two entirely different natures soothed me. I spent the afternoon at the dress rehearsal for Le Train Bleu, Ransom’s ensemble, which gave a concert at National Sawdust in Brooklyn. It was a revelation.

On the program were John Luther Adams’ The Light Within; Huang Ruo’s Confluence (featuring Rebecca Allan, who painted a watercolor in real time, projected above the musicians); Reena Esmail’s Perhaps, accompanied by the world premiere of a new film by Heather McCalden; and Jacob TV’s (Jacob ter Veldhuis) Grab It!, for electric guitar and soundtrack, and Jesus is Coming, for saxophone quartet and soundtrack.

The New York Times reviewed the concert; click here. What an intense musical experience -- NOT your grandmother’s classical music!

For THAT I went to Lincoln Center at 8pm to hear the Cincinnati Symphony perform the Tchaikovsky war horse, the Piano Concerto #1 as well as his huge fifth symphony. It was a brilliant concert conducted by their Music Director Louis LangrĂ©e (also MD for the Mostly Mozart Festival). They even played Tchaikovsky’s Waltz of the Flowers from The Nutcracker to put a fitting end to the Christmas season – it was Three Kings’ Day after all (January 6).

On the train home I listened to several recorded interviews I have of Don. I miss my friend still, but music doth, in fact, soothe. Thank you Ransom and Mr. Langrée for taking me out of myself.

(And I would be remiss if I did not mention that between the rehearsal and the concert I had dinner with my dear friends Ann and Jon -- friendship also dispels pain; thank you both).

No comments:

Post a Comment