Monday, December 28, 2015

My heart breaks

December 28 now joins a sad list of dates that I remember with tears: January 10, the day both my Dad and Ian Poole died; January 19, the day Jan Palach died; November 21 and 22, when my Mom and President Kennedy died; December 7, Pearl Harbor Day.

Today, December 28, 2015, my dearest friend -- my best friend for fifty years – died in Richmond. Don Dale passed away, apparently of a massive heart attack. I am stunned and immensely sad. My last email to him was a little before noon today; he likely never saw it. I called and left a message last night; he did the same. I thought we’d talk later today.

Instead, we’ll never talk again.

I was sixteen when I met Don; we celebrated fifty years of friendship this past September in Richmond, where, save for an Air Force stint in Germany, he always lived. I am so glad we had that party!

As I said in the blog post about that festive evening, we had grown closer over the years. We emailed daily, often several times a day. We talked on the phone less frequently, but still often. We traveled together and I visited him in Richmond.

The size of the hole in my life is not yet clear. Already I’ve thought of half a dozen things I wanted to share with him. As I write these words I know that he, my most faithful reader, will never see them. I am sad beyond description.

But we did have fifty years. I will forever be grateful for that.


I love you, Don.

8 comments:

  1. Very, very sad to hear this, but I wanted to thank you for going to the trouble of notifying the Copyediting mailing list; it was very kind of you. Don will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Any friend of Don's, cyber or otherwise, is a friend of mine. I too love words and Don shared many of your discussions with me.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. Like Nina, I'm a longtime member of CE-L, and Don was a fixture there since before I joined, which is well over twenty years ago now. It was a delight to read his messages, and we had more than a few offlist conversations. He was a true gentleman, and will be sorely missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad to hear this. I met him a few times on visits to Richmond and always enjoyed his company, online and in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another CE-L member who will be missing Don's thoughtful and intelligent contributions to our community as well as his kindness and sense of humor. Our off-list exchanges covered topics ranging from cats to Dumbledore, and a message from him was always a bright spot in my day. My condolences to you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don was a treasure. I knew him from Copyediting-L, and we had many offlist conversations. I had always hoped to meet him in person. Condolences to everyone who ever met him, in whatever manner, because to know him was surely to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don was a treasure. I knew him from Copyediting-L, and we had many offlist conversations. I had always hoped to meet him in person. Condolences to everyone who ever met him, in whatever manner, because to know him was surely to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a member of Copyediting-L, I too had the pleasure of reading Don's thoughtful and witty contributions. His passing is a loss for all of us.
    Esther Hecht

    ReplyDelete