Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I Believe in Miracles

I've loved music since I can remember. My first 45 RPM record was Elvis's recording of Love Me Tender. Through the 50s and 60s I listened mostly to rock and roll, although, considering what was to come, it's probably better described as pop/rock. Later on I came to like guitar-driven hard rock, classical, a little country and, yes, disco. I admit it. The Pointer Sisters Jump! still sets my heart racing and Gloria Gaynor's classic medley of Honeybee/Never Can Say Goodbye/Reach Out is still eighteen minutes of bliss --  sorry, couldn't find a link to the whole medley.

Hot Chocolate's You Sexy Thing has never been a favorite but today I can't get its opening line, "I Believe in Miracles," out of my head.

I needed a plumber. I checked Craig's List, but who knows what I'd get if I went with someone there. So I looked at the Better Business Bureau website. There were lots of nearby plumbers, but only one was BBB accredited. I called them.

A pleasant woman answered the phone and when I told her what I needed she said, "well, I don't think we could get there this morning."

This morning? OMG, I would have been happy if she had said someone might get there the last week of July. She went on to promise someone would call me after 1pm.

I don't know if miracles are ranked by the church like sins are (venial and mortal), but I'd call it a minor miracle that someone from Jiffy Plumb actually did call me back. He said he would stop by between 5:30 and 6.

And then the major miracle. He actually DID show up at the appointed time and, right then and there, did the job, quickly and politely.

A tradesman showing up on time and getting the work done quickly? That is indeed a miracle.

Years ago I had someone come measure our driveway for paving. He spent an hour at the house. We talked at length and got along well. He promised to send me an estimate.

Never heard from him. He ignored my three voice messages. What's that about? Why would he spend an hour of his time and then just disappear? Maybe he was abducted by aliens. Yeah, I bet that's it.

But Jiffy Plumb -- praise the gods! They make me believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment