Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What was I thinking?


I should have known better. Yesterday I wrote a mostly upbeat, optimistic essay about how well I was doing and how much less pain I was in than after the first surgery. I was looking forward to a reasonably fast recovery.

Within minutes – minutes, I say – my knee started to throb. Throb at a level I hadn’t experienced in months. I ditched the cane. Even with a walker, I could hardly move. Sitting with my leg propped up offered little relief. Sleeping was impossible until I took an Ambien.

I awoke this morning to no change, though rest and extra drugs have helped as the day ground on. I am spending most of my time sitting on a couch with my leg atop a tower of pillows. I’ve doubled the dose of Dilaudid and, with plenty of rest, the pain has begun to subside.

But what a kick in the face! How silly of me to be optimistic. Life sucks, pain reigns, and then you die.

And the worst part: all of the above is about my LEFT knee, the heretofore uncut knee. The right knee, where I just had surgery, is recovering pretty well. The staples are due to come out tomorrow and I am – dare I say it – hoping that knee will finally heal properly.

Good thing, as I’ll need it to limp through the next phase of my life.
Looking pretty good right about now

No comments:

Post a Comment