Sunday, April 28, 2013

Absolutely guaranteed, will not fail diet!


I’m a fat person. Have been since I was a kid.

When I was a kid in fact my Mom would steer me to the Husky section at Sears to buy jeans. As if I were stupid enough to think that was a canine reference. I knew I was fat; I knew that husky, chubby and chunky were all synonyms for little fat kid.

I wasn’t obese. I was husky.

It was in eighth grade I think when I lost weight. I decided to walk to school instead of taking the bus. It was between three and four miles. Because we were in Japan though it meant walking out the gate of one Army base (Sagamihara, where we lived), down a two lane Japanese road a couple miles and through the gate of another base where the school was (Camp Zama). It was safe and, except for the endless number of Americans who stopped the first couple weeks to see if I needed help, it was easy.

I kept the weight off through high school, though I was never slim. It was always a struggle. And as fat people know, I was a fat guy no matter how much I weighed.

I discovered running in the 70s, and even entered the first Richmond (VA) marathon in 1978, signing up to run half. I in fact lasted through 18 miles, eight miles further than I had ever run.

All that pounding took its toll and eventually I stopped running and then the struggle with weight got really hard. Through the 80s and 90s, and up to this day, I have gained and lost hundreds of pounds. They go; they come back. I have tried lots of diets; some work well, some not at all, all are hard to stick with.

I write today to proclaim the one tried-and-true, absolutely sure-to-work diet that is available to anyone with health insurance: have a major body part removed and replaced. You WILL lose weight.

It happened two years ago in January when I had my knee replaced; it’s happening again after having that replacement reengineered. Without my doing anything: no calorie counting, no carb portioning, no major sweat-producing exercise regime. All I had to do was show up at the hospital; the rest is lost lipids.

I’m still a fat person. Always will be. One proof of that: I went down to the basement today, taking with me my extra-large pants and swapping them for my not-quite-so-large pants. Normal people don’t have 23 pairs of pants that they cannot wear. Fat people do. When I’ve lost some weight I have pants that are too big; most of the time I have pants that are too small. Today I have both. Still lots of work to do.

I know: let’s do the OTHER knee!

Best weight loss procedure ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment