Monday, March 25, 2013

We’re from the government and we’re here to help you


It’s an old line that always gets a laugh. I live with a local version. Every now and then Yale University sends out an email with the encouraging news that there’s a new process being implemented that will make life easier.

I react to Yale the same way most folks react to the government.

A few months ago we got an email that began “In an effort to streamline the check approval process . . .” Here we go, I thought. The message went on to state that I would now be required to file an I9 form for any new vendor to whom I wanted to send payment. (The I9 is the federal government’s form that proves someone is legally allowed to work in the U.S.). Along with that, I would be required to complete the Vendor Set-Up form, if this person or business was not already in the Yale system. Finally, I was to complete the actual Check Request to order payment.

That’s three forms. For one check.

It used to be that one form was enough. But now, thanks to Yale’s "streamlining", I need three. Yeah, that sounds like progress.

Here’s another example of how helpful Yale can be. The first image is a screen shot of a page I encounter whenever I file an expense report. You can see that there are two places on this page where I can click a “Contact Us” link if I need help. As you would expect, clicking that link opens a new email message wherein I can ask my question. Thank you, Yale.

Oops, one problem, as the second image makes clear: the email isn’t addressed to anyone!

It reminds me of a conversation Don and I had recently, in which we talked about the therapeutic value of writing a letter to someone with whom I am having difficulty. It’s not so important that I mail the letter; just writing it is a therapeutic tool.

I guess Yale feels the same way. Ask all the questions you want; just keep them to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment