Tuesday, January 22, 2013

When I'm 64


I hosted my latest musical soirée Saturday night: eight of us gathered around Penne Puttanesca, salad and brownies, and listened to almost fifty songs from the most successful act in musical history. I had asked folks to vote for their five favorite Beatles songs, so the playlist included every song that got a vote, ending with the ones that got the most votes.

The final songs of the evening, and the votes they garnered were:
2  Yesterday
2  Blackbird
2  I Will
2  Rocky Raccoon
2  While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3  Hey Jude
4  In My Life
5  Here Comes the Sun
5  Let It Be
I was especially gratified that Let It Be topped the list for it is my all-time favorite Beatles song, but in truth, I am very hard-pressed to name a Beatles song I DON’T like – ok, Revolution 9 does NOT do it for me. Even forgotten songs from the early albums can light up a smile on my face. Try It Won’t Be Long or maybe Mr. Moonlight. You’ve perhaps not heard either in years, but if you’re near my age I’ll wager you can sing along – smiling.

When I’m 64 carries a special resonance since I am, in fact, 64. When that song came out in 1967 I thought that someone who was 64 was old, really old -- way too old to be playing loud rock and roll! Perspective is everything I guess; today it feels perfectly natural to crank up the tunes; I’m already working on the next party, trying to decide between the Rolling Stones or forgotten soul music from the 60s. Whatever I choose, it’ll be LOUD.

On the other hand, I definitely felt 64 during the afternoon as I made the dinner and cleaned the house. By the time I sat down to relax just before everyone arrived, my feet were killing me, my back ached and I wondered why the hell I was doing this. But then I started the first song and, to paraphrase Congreve, music has charms to soothe an aching body.

I slept til 11am the next morning, a small price to pay to be a 64 year-old teenager again.

1 comment:

  1. I think I play music loud because if I didn't, I could not hear it!

    ReplyDelete