Sunday, December 4, 2011

Yin yang

I last wrote about Paulo, our new puppy (see below); he has brought joy and love to the house, just as they all do. More importantly perhaps he has put to rest the painful memory of Tasha’s passing and made the family whole again.


Today though was anther day and I was pretty much immobilized by pain and depression. I didn’t get out of bed until 3:30 in the afternoon, missing the Hartford Symphony concert I subscribe to. That at least is consistent: I haven’t made it to any of their concerts yet this year, all for the same reason.

It was still light out though so Ransom and I walked the dogs in the fields and woods across the street. It is one of the best things about this house: we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of non-developed land, interlaced with lovely trails. I don’t know if Paulo’s nose-to-the-ground gait is due to his breed – do Pointers share characteristics with hounds? – or if it’s just that everything is new to him, having spent his first nine months in a kennel; whatever it is, he is a happy camper out in the woods.

I’m paying the price for the hike though. I just got ice for my knee and took another Vicodin. The drugs don’t stop the pain, they only mask it -- unless, I suppose, I take as many as Dr. House does. I’m afraid to do that and, believing as I do that life is largely about suffering, I'm probably taking the right amount.

We’re sitting together in the living room: Ransom, Paulo and Cassie on one couch, Zeus on his favorite chair, me on mine. The wood stove is cranked; it’s very peaceful – and with so few lights on, it’s hard to tell how dirty the house is! I love late fall.
Ransom and the dogs. And the picture at the top,
in case you weren't sure: just the right number of dog bowls drying.

No comments:

Post a Comment