Thursday, October 20, 2011

Traveling is not for the faint-hearted

I’m writing this about two hours into an eight-hour flight to Rome. When it’s finally over it will, I am sure, have been worth it, but, boy, it ain’t easy:

2pm: we leave the house
3pm: we board a van from CT Limo to JFK
5:30pm: we arrive JFK after stops in Bridgeport, South Norwalk and Stamford
7:20pm: we head for the gate after eating a surprisingly good meal
7:30pm: we learn the 8:50 departure time has been moved to 9:50
9:20pm: we board
11:17pm (!): liftoff
6:45am (est): we arrive Rome (12:45pm Rome time)

Total: 16 hours and forty-five minutes to get to the eternal city.

We’ll spend two days in Rome and then board the Celebrity Silhouette for an 11-day cruise ending in New York (Bayonne, NJ actually). We’re celebrating a major birthday (60) and a major anniversary (25).

As I said, I’m sure all this hassle will be worth it, but whoever coined the phrase “getting there is half the fun,” was certainly NOT talking about flying to Rome when one lives in Connecticut.

Postum scriptum: I add this at 6am New York time, having just had a very mediocre croissant but some acceptably dark coffee. Sleeping in coach is a skill I will likely never develop. I did in fact doze on and off, but slept only fitfully. I feel terrible, have the sniffles and want nothing more than to lie in bed and pamper myself for days on end.

But wait, I can do that. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment