Saturday, April 20, 2013

Alpha and Omega


The number one song in the land on November 3, 1956, was Elvis Presley’s recording of Love Me Tender. It was the very first 45 rpm record I ever owned; my mother bought it and gave it to me and my brother. I still have it, along with 839 other 45s.

The last recording I bought was Pat Metheny’s The Orchestrion Project. An orchestrion, should you not know, is a mechanical instrument designed to imitate the sound of an orchestra. Metheny has been fascinated for years with creating a wall of sound, to borrow a phrase, with him as the only live musician. I saw him perform music from this album in Waterbury last year. It was quite amazing.

When I say “last recording,” I mean last as in “the most recent” but I also mean it in the sense of “the last one, never to be repeated.” It’s very likely that the Methany CD will remain the last CD I ever buy; furthermore, it may well be the last time I ever pay money to own music.

For the last ten years or so most of the music I have bought I have downloaded from iTunes, eMusic or amazon, though I have in fact purchased a few physical CDs. I think those days are over. I have canceled my subscription to eMusic and I have no plans to buy music online.

At 64 I have realized enough is enough. I don’t need to own any more music. From now on when I want to hear something I don’t have, I will listen to it via Spotify – and of course there are other choices too: Pandora and Rdio to name just two. Right now I have only the free version of Spotify; I am still trying to decide whether it’s worth $10 a month to eliminate the ads and have more complete mobile access to their vast catalog.

This is a seismic shift for me. For 57 years I have been buying recorded music in one format or another: 45s, LPs, cassette tapes, compact discs and downloads. No more.

Now, does anyone want to buy the 3,600 CDs on our shelves?

1 comment:

  1. I still remember when we were burglarized in 1994 or so and when I told the Police that 300 odd CD's had been stolen, they questioned me closely on that. My insurance never paid off on it, because I did not have a complete list of my titles, what I paid for them and receipts. Please take a video of all your CD's, in case something happens, so YOUR insurance won't decide you are trying to defraud them!

    ReplyDelete