Friday, March 22, 2013

My week in pictures


There’s no great issue churning up my brain cells this afternoon, so here instead are some images from the week gone by.

On Sunday I saw the Paul Taylor Dance Company at Lincoln Center. This shot was taken ten minutes before the scheduled 3pm curtain. What’s wrong with this picture? Well, the fact that almost no one is on the plaza, that’s what. The police had sealed off all of Lincoln Center, due to a bomb scare. Interestingly, the patrons already inside the Koch Theatre were allowed to remain. In fact, they knew nothing about the cause of the delay. When I was finally let in at 3:30 or so they were stunned to hear of the bomb scare. They were more stunned to contemplate their apparent worth, as no one asked them to remove themselves to safety.

File this one under Dressing for the Theatre; title it “Who says no one dresses for Broadway shows anymore?” These two ladies of a certain age sat two rows ahead of me at the Wednesday matinee of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It opened later that night to a pretty lousy review in the Times. Unfortunately, I concur. (I do though like the juxtaposition of the hats and the cellphone).

I’ve been working my way through the entire Alfred Hitchcock oeuvre, or at least as much as Netflix can provide. I’m up to the very last one, Family Plot, but Apollo, god of the arts, must not want me to see it. The first copy Netflix sent me was broken from one edge to the center. Here’s a photo of its replacement!

Most of the snow has melted around here, though every time the brown earth appears Zeus sends at least a few inches to cover it up again. The fallen trees, courtesy of Aeolus, god of the winds, still remain everywhere you look in the woods, five months after they fell:


And finally, this arrived at the mailbox this week. How quaint. A phone book. I’m trying to remember the last time I used one of these. I’m guessing maybe ten years. I am actually surprised that they still exist. I would never seek out a book unless both my iPhone and my Mac were dead. This goes from the bag it was in straight to the recycle bin.

So yeah, it's been a slow news day here in New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment