Friday, October 28, 2016

You CAN go home again – just be careful

Faithful readers know that I returned to Richmond, Virginia, last week for my 50th high school reunion. It was truly exciting and I spent some quality time with several people from the day. Since returning I’ve started a new email exchange with a former teacher and continued email conversations with old friends. It’s all been good and positive.

Until Wednesday.

For the first time ever I’ve experienced a lack of love and support over my sexuality from someone I called a friend. I hadn’t seen her since graduation but my memories are strong and positive. Her first email was upbeat and chatty, telling me of her husband, her four kids and her house in the country. I responded in kind.

Then the bomb dropped. She told me of her church and her belief in the bible and its homophobia. She mentioned a gay family member she claims to love but whose homosexuality she doesn’t support or “agree with.”

Agree with? Sexuality is not something to agree or disagree with; it simply is a fact of a person’s life.

As much as I was saddened to receive her message I take heart in the overwhelming love and support I’ve received all my life from everyone else – everyone else – who’s ever learned I’m gay. Living in the New York area it’s easy to think that Americans are open-minded and supportive; it’s sad to remember that homophobia and hatred are alive and well in the heartland.



No comments:

Post a Comment