Sunday, August 2, 2015

Johannes, Wolfie and Sly

Years ago, when Ransom and I lived on the Upper West Side, I went several times to Shea Stadium for Mets games. I remember one particular day, I think it was a Saturday; I know it was a glorious sunny day and that the Mets won. I took the train back into Manhattan and went out that night to one of the other Mets – the Metropolitan Opera. I don’t remember that performance but I do recall wondering how many other people in the audience had been at the ballpark that afternoon.

Damn few, I'll wager. Maybe none.

I was reminded of that day last night while attending a Mostly Mozart Festival concert at Avery Fisher Hall. It was an evening of Bach, Mozart and Brahms. The night before I had attended a free outdoor concert in Hamden, CT; it was an evening of Sly, Family and Stone.

In point of fact it was a Family Stone concert; Sly no longer plays with them. We heard three of the original members of the group -- Cynthia Robinson (trumpet), Jerry Martino (sax) and Greg Errico (drums) -- with some new, and very talented, additions – including Phunne Stone, aka Raw Syl, Sly’s daughter. Like her, the band was funky and fun; I knew and loved every song, including Everyday People, Hot Fun in the Summertime, Sing a Simple Song and, of course, I Want to Take You Higher, among others.

The point is, you couldn't ask for more different music: Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 20 compared to Dance to the Music; Brahms Fourth Symphony versus Stand!

This time I wondered how many people at Fisher had been listening to (Sly and) the Family Stone the night before.

I take no credit for my catholic tastes; they're just part of me. My mother started me collecting rock and roll when she bought me a 45 of Elvis singing Love Me Tender. Living in Richmond, VA, exposed me to soul music as well as rhythm and blues and funk.

And where did my taste for classical music come from? Well, I’d credit my first boyfriend, Sandy, with jump-starting my interest. He studied piano and introduced me to pieces as varied as Scriabin’s piano preludes and Verdi’s Requiem. I thought of Sandy last night at the pre-concert mini recital when Orion Weiss played Brahms’ Klavierstücke, Op 118. This popular piece tickles lots of emotions; it is soothing and tender, passionate and lyrical – much like Sandy -- and Weiss played beautifully.


Of course the driving force behind my love of classical music is my husband. I've heard him conduct Brahms several times: the Academic Festival Overture, the Violin Concerto (Itzhak Perlman, soloist) and the first Serenade, among others. As the music director of the OK Mozart Festival for over twenty years he of course conducted lots of Mozart too, and I was there to enjoy plenty of it.

He and I share our love of classical music.

Brahms up above and Mozart to the right, yes. Sly, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment