Monday, April 13, 2015

Music's in the family

Every six months or so I throw a music party for six to twelve friends. I cook a simple meal and we listen to loud music; there’s usually a theme. Because the music is loud, Ransom is never there. I plan the party based on his travel schedule.

In 2013 I did a Beatles night. I invited my guests to submit their favorite Beatles tunes and then I played back every song that got a vote, ending with the top five. To get them all in I had to start with some of the one-vote getters before people even arrived. I wrote about that night here.

It was fun, and the most fun was the quiz. Is it just I, or does everyone agree that the best part of these evenings is always the quiz?

Yes, there’s a quiz.

Of course there’s a quiz. Music and music trivia are my life.

For “Covers” night, an evening devoted to famous songs and their cover versions, I created a quiz with ten songs, each listed twice. The task was to write the artist who first had a hit with each song, followed by the artist of a successful cover version. I even listed all the artists, to make it easy.

On Beatles night I offered up the letter below, a long-thought-lost missive from John (maybe) to his doctor. The task? Find as many Beatles song titles within the text as you can.

The winner that night escapes my memory, as does the winning total. But I am reasonably sure the winner didn't get to 30.

And there are fifty-one (51!) titles in the letter. (Go back and look again).

The point of all this is that my sister-in-law Jennifer just took the test and scored a record-shattering 45. She asks for, and deserves, public recognition of this feat. Good on you, sis! Jennifer Wilson McCracken, BTQ (Beatles Trivia Queen)!


I didn't give Ransom the test, but I can guarantee he would not do better than his sister. Like me, she loves Liszt and Led Zeppelin (pictured above), Respighi and the Rolling Stones, Debussy and Dylan. That’s a concept Ransom's not into. But there are those in the family who are.

Here then, the letter from John:

Dear Doctor Robert,

Thank you for inviting me to share my concerns. Yes, as you noticed, I’m down. On top of that, I'm so tired all the time. I feel like I cannot carry that weight any longer. I want to just get away by myself; there’s a place in the country I used to love to go to, but I can't even drive my car any longer. I'd love to ask you to help, but I know you can't do that. The breakup has left me nowhere. Man, is it painful.

When I get home I think about the night before and all the misery. Even though all my loving was for naught, and even though I should have known better, I know I'll be back for more. It’s my nature -- don’t ask me why.

You asked about the note I wrote to Julia; here it is:

"Oh darling,

Please don't dwell on the things we said today; we were angry. The two of us were at fault; I shouldn't have said 'don't bother me.' You could never be a bother. I know you love me; do believe I love you too; I know we can work it out.

I realize now that yesterday I should have said that you have every right to do what you're doing -- I need to learn to accept it. I'll get you whatever it takes to make you happy, to make you stay.

I know that your mother never approved of me; I know you think your mother should know, but please think for yourself. Don't give it another thought; just hold me tight, forgive me, and love me. Something made you fear that you like me too much; just slow down please; please me, and I will please you.

I call your name but there’s no reply; you won't see me. Please, babe, help me.

I need you, honey; don't let it be this way. Please love me again and get back to me soon; I've got to get you into my life, babe.

About the dinner tonight, dear: prudence dictates I be on my best behavior; I don't want to spoil the party. You already think I'm a loser – I won't do anything to confirm that.

Please call me, any time at all. It won't be long til I reach the end. Honey pie, say the word, say the words of love. Please.

P.S. I love you."

What do you think, Doc? Is there any hope?

(If anyone wants the answer key, email me and I'll send it along).


No comments:

Post a Comment