Thursday, October 16, 2014

NOT a message I enjoyed reading

As you may have learned from reports in the media, one of the doctoral students who returned recently from a research mission to Liberia was hospitalized in isolation on Wednesday night after developing a low-grade fever.
I understand that this situation may be worrying to some of you, to your families and friends, and to members of the Yale and New Haven communities. 
-President Peter Salovey, Yale University, 16 Oct 2014 

First South Africa, then Texas and Spain and now New Haven.

I am not an alarmist, but things tend to get worse before they get better and now Ebola may have landed in my back yard. MAY have. We don’t know yet and I am not losing any sleep over it. Still, I take little comfort from all the comforting words when I see that, notwithstanding all the protocols we thought were in place in Texas, we learned of another sick health care worker, and of her travels on a commercial plane.

Forgive me if I have my doubts and if I think this is how so many disaster movies started. Everything’s calm and normal and then slowly one thing goes wrong and before you know it the monkeys and apes have taken over the planet and the Statue of Liberty is lying on a beach.

Does art imitate life or is it in fact the other way around?

Stay tuned.

Update: Yale New Haven Hospital has confirmed the patient does NOT have Ebola.

A bullet dodged.

No comments:

Post a Comment