Thursday, May 8, 2014

Move over, Oreck; welcome another bad corporate citizen.

I recently complained about shoddy products and service from the Oreck Corporation, manufacturer of high-end vacuum cleaners. Today I point the finger at another, far bigger corporate entity. Who? Well here are some hints:

NBC News: Toyota recalls Prius, Lexus hybrid for faulty brakes 
Daily Finance: Toyota Recalls Millions of Cars for Numerous Problems
New York Times: Toyota Is Fined $1.2 Billion for Concealing Safety Defects

We currently lease two Toyotas: a 2013 Prius Plug-in and a 2012 RAV4. Within less than a year we will lease just one and, if things don't get better, in two years we will lease none.

The old company -- like so many others trading in America -- just ain't what it used to be.

The story: several months ago Ransom stopped by our local dealer, A1 Toyota of New Haven, CT,  to see what our options might be, as the lease on the Prius we then had was due to expire in a few months. He went only for information, but the sales force was so eager to close a deal that he drove home in a new car. We had done nothing to prep the old one for return: it was dirty and crammed with stuff.

Now, I wasn't there, so much of this story is hearsay, as I got it from Ransom. The salesman made it clear that the returned vehicle was in good shape and Ransom needn't worry about it. There were no extra charges levied for wear and tear and Ransom was happy to be in a new car.

Imagine my surprise when, several weeks later, we received a bill from Toyota (not the local dealer) for well over $600 in "excessive wear and tear."

Let me stop here and tell you that we have leased vehicles from Honda, from BMW and from Subaru. In each and every case (seven vehicles) an inspection was part of the return process, as one would expect. I was present at each of those inspections. I was given a report detailing what was found wrong, what was considered "excessive," and what it would cost to fix those excessive dings and dents. It was my option to turn the car in as is, or to take the car elsewhere for refurbishment before returning it.

No such inspection happened with Ransom and his returned Prius. The service folks moved his belongings to the new car and wished him well. The old car was driven away.

So back to the $600+ bill from Toyota. WTF?! I mean, imagine you rent a car while on vacation and when you return it the staff simply wishes you a good day, never looks at the car and then weeks later sends you a bill for damage. You would have no way of knowing whether that damage was in fact your fault, or whether it happened after you returned the car or, in fact, if there was any damage at all. Would you pay that bill? Hell no.

So we raised hell, pointing out that we had previously been told all was ok and that we had no chance to rectify the supposed excessive wear. A1 told us they would take care of it.

Yeah, and my Mommy told me that Santa Claus brought me presents on Christmas!

Today I opened a bill for $264 -- a dunning letter actually, claiming that Toyota had repeatedly tried to collect this bill. NOT TRUE, this is the first I've heard of it. I thought the issue was closed. I thought I could trust the good people at A1 Toyota. To their credit they did apparently get Toyota to knock down the bill considerably, but they did not pay the bill, nor did they contact us to say what had happened. They simply let their corporate daddy write us a bullying letter.

As Tony Soprano so often said of people who disappointed him, they are dead to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment