Sunday, August 11, 2013

More NOLA bits

I came for the music and have not been disappointed, as I hope you have read. But every bit as pleasurable has been the bike riding. I rented from the American Bicycle Rental Company (325 Burgundy St.) and have absolutely loved it. As you can see, it harkens back to the bikes I had as a kid: made in the USA with big thick tires, a comfortable seat, one gear and pedal-activated brakes – remember those? You pedal backwards to stop. It’s been a delight and I have seen far, far more of this city than I would have on foot.
My rental bike, a musician sculpture and the Mississippi River bridge in the background

Most of the music I have heard has been in bars and clubs, but New Orleans boasts a proud tradition of street musicians as well, and the guys here pictured were the best I heard. They are actually city-sponsored; I met the woman who contracts them, Leslie Cooper, Director of Music Street Production. She also runs the New Orleans Traditional Jazz Camp. We spent a delightful ten minutes chatting. I was on my bike when I first encountered the band, parading through the French Market. They stopped twice and played mini-sets at each location. It was almost like being at a Second Line.
Brass band at the French Market

Ransom and I talked about going to Preservation Hall for some more brass music tonight, but I'm not sure we're willing to pay the price: you show up, wait in line, and maybe get in. If you do, you might get a bench to sit on, or a floor cushion, but likely you stand. I’m afraid my standing-for-a-concert days are over, but we'll see.

I spent maybe 90 minutes at the aquarium and enjoyed that as much for the amazing fish and penguins as for the respite from the grueling heat. It is H-O-T in the Big Easy, that’s fo’ damn sure.

Next, thrills were had ogling the participants in yesterday’s Red Dress Run. Next time I need to do some research and make sure I pack the right outfit!


Finally, some miscellaneous shots:
Only at a flute convention would you see this



New Orleans mansions

St. Charles streetcar


Remembrance of things past






No comments:

Post a Comment