Sunday, June 10, 2012

Watching the Tonys

I am so glad I met Ransom when I did; he saved me from making a fool of myself chasing Neil Patrick Harris around the country and the world.

That boy can sing! That boy can dance! That boy could charm a Cadillac away from Mitt Romney. And cute? OMG, he’s so cute. He was nerdy-cute back in the Doogie days; he’s just drop-dead handsome now.

The Tonys' opening number was clever and fun and showcased all the non-cerebral joys of Broadway, though I did want to throw a shoe at the TV when that damned curly red-haired brat ominously walked on stage, making me fear for the 2012-2013 Broadway season.

I’m sorry that Celia Keenan-Bolger didn’t win for Peter and the Starcatcher, but she probably didn’t have a chance up against Judith Light, who gave one of the most gracious, heartfelt and yet short acceptance speeches I’ve ever heard.

I have mixed feelings about Newsies, fearing what Disney usually brings to Broadway, but I’ve been very curious after everything I heard about the dancing. Tonight’s excerpt convinced me; I need to see this show. All those chorus boys, yum.

Either Phillip Boykin or David Alan Grier could have won the Tony for best featured actor in a musical (Porgy and Bess) and I would have been happy. Or Josh Young because he’s such a hottie. Haven’t seen -- and don’t want to see -- Nice Work If You Can Get It so I can’t judge Michael McGrath’s victory.

John Tiffany wins for directing Once; confirms my desire to see it someday. Loved the film. I’m sorry Roger Rees and Alex Timbers didn’t win for the abovementioned Peter, but when Mike Nichols decides to direct the most famous American play in history, what chance do you have?

But then Peter won in the person of Christian Borle for best featured actor. A well-deserved win; his performance is the best I have seen in years. The best actress winner, Judy Kaye, no doubt deserves her win; she’s a great actress, but again, Nice Work just doesn’t lift my skirt.

And now Clybourne Park beat my beloved Peter for best play. I'll judge for myself  at Wednesday’s matinee.

Porgy and Bess wins best revival. In a first for me, I saw this beautifully sung revival this very afternoon. Audra McDonald, who I expect will win her own Tony shortly, was magnificent – as you would expect of a four-time Tony winner. So were her co-stars. The show, however, will never be my favorite and this afternoon’s performance reminded me that P&B is a show I respect more than love.

The beautiful Hugh Jackman just received a special Tony; why the audience sat on their asses I will never know.

Steve Kazee wins best actor for Once. Surprised the hell out of me. Maybe of him too. Another heartfelt and very touching acceptance speech. I had already typed “Philip Seymour Hoffman wins for Salesman” before the next announcement was made that, no, it was James Corden winning for One Man, Two Guvnors. I was once again, totally surprised – though somewhat less than James Earl Jones was. Did you see that look on his face?

About the musical excerpts: the bit from Ghost convinced me this is a show I do NOT want to see. Aren’t previews supposed to do just the opposite? Ditto Evita. I’ve never been into that show before, and I certainly am not now. Did the producers think they were hiring the OTHER Ricky Martin, the one who could act? Seeing the bit from Newsies, as I’ve already said, really makes me want to see it. Harris said they were 35-year-olds acting like 15-year-olds. Sounds good to me. Finally, I always like looking at Raul Esparza but Leap of Faith is a now gone, not missed, dog. A dog I saw a few weeks back.

Audra McDonald – no surprise – wins for Porgy and Bess. A thrill for her, a thrill for me, having just seen this performance six hours ago. Loved her in Ragtime, loved her even more in Carousel.

Once wins Best Musical. Damn, gonna be hard to get tickets for this one.

I end where I began: in love with Neil Patrick Harris.

But more in love with Ransom.

No comments:

Post a Comment