Friday, September 2, 2011

What a Diff'rence a Hall Makes, part 2


Two days after the ear-splitting and sad rendezvous at DAR Constitution Hall I returned to another concert hall for a totally different experience. Ransom and I went to Morse Recital Hall in Sprague Memorial Hall (I know, that's a real mouthful, but donors gotta get their due) for the annual convocation of the Yale School of Music. It's a semi-formal affair with an invocation and a short welcome by the Provost, who also installs the new class. Then the Dean shares some remarks, this year on the theme of gifts, both those the new students bring to the table as well as the multitude of gifts Yale lays at their feet. It was a good speech, hitting all the right points; for my money it could have been delivered with a bit more fervor and passion, but still, all the words were good words well used.

Then it was time for music and we were treated to Chopin, Mozart and Britten as well as the annual group singing of Schubert's An die Musik, a beautiful song praising art: specifically, music:

Oh lovely Art, in how many grey hours,
When life's fierce orbit ensnared me,
Have you kindled my heart to warm love,
Carried me away into a better world!

How often has a sigh escaping from your harp,
A sweet, sacred chord of yours
Opened up for me the heaven of better times,
Oh lovely Art, for that I thank you!

Along with the full-throated singing of 300 or so musicians (!) Dean Robert Blocker played piano and my husband played flute.

It was then off to a reception for a few minutes before we headed to Thali Too, our favorite Indian restaurant.

A perfect evening with wonderful music . . .

and no headaches

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to 'clear your palette' of the bad taste from Washington. I wish I had been with you in New Haven.

    However, I still think the trip a success. Good food, great company and time to catch up a bit. The walk on the Mall and to Arlington National Cemetery made the trip memorable for me and lunch was pretty good as well.

    Thank you for putting up with the bad concert.

    ReplyDelete