Saturday, July 10, 2010

Two strikes and you're out

My friend Don and I saw Shear Madness at the Kennedy Center on May 24, 2008. I hated it. I remember thinking at the time that theatre couldn't possibly get any worse. A year later we saw Arcadia on May 23 at the Folger Theatre, also in Washington, DC. It is brilliant, perhaps my favorite modern play, and it was a great production. We both loved it.

Tonight we saw Completely Hollywood (abridged) by the Reduced Shakespeare Company, also at the Kennedy Center. My two-year old question was answered. THIS is how bad theatre can be. It was dreadful. Mercifully, Don was willing to leave at intermission and we went to a pleasant supper an hour earlier than planned.

None of this is of particular note except that at both Kennedy Center performances those in attendance seemed to be loving it -- except, perhaps for two people -- more on them in a minute. The audience laughed and clapped and had a jolly old time. I sat there stone-faced, lamenting the state of culture in America.

Regular readers know that I am a harsh critic and a curmudgeon, but come on, this was drivel! Well executed drivel perhaps, but drivel nonetheless. It was akin to watching Late Night where the audience is so pumped up that they will laugh and scream and cry and make fools of themselves whenever the producer tells them to. The Reduced Shakespeare Company should be under a restraining order to change their name; the Bard deserves better.

One must take the bad with the good though, and so it was today. To balance this dreadful piece of theatrical claptrap the gods provided me five delightful hours connecting with friends that I have not seen in 47 years! From my junior high days in Japan came Terry, Marguerite, Marion and Shelley, and we had a great time telling stories and catching up. Five hours with them seemed like five minutes compared to the endless sixty minutes I spent with the RSC!

And those two people and two strikes mentioned above? In the first case, two people left the performance tonight well before intermission. Don and I wondered whether they were audience members whose tolerance was even less than mine or whether it was part of the show. I'm convinced it was the former. "Bravi" I say to them. And as for the two strikes: I'm sorry my dearest, dearest friend, Don, but Thalia and Dionysus have decreed that you be removed from your position as director of theatrical choices. Condolences, but it's for the best.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I saw Shear Madness at the Kennedy Center a few years back and I loved it! I also just saw the RSC show you are referring to (also at the Kennedy Center) and I thought it was great! It was really funny, at least for me. But different strokes for different folks I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You created quite a stink with your review - and for that - well, I have to say good for you. RSC is ranting on Facebook about it.

    I'm with you partly: "... Ok - granted the critic linked is too sharp in the far direction on the show and never justifies his view - worse still he leaves and critiques the show as incomplete. Two of us made it through the whole show and didn't leave at intermission. Which was lucky for us - because Act 2 is more of what the actual show should be. The gang of you just throwing the movies at the audience and hoping we can keep up. Act 1 you almost lost me. You have to figure that your audience is there and so are already at a certain level of knowing what they are getting into. Act 1 spent TOO much time on the rules and beating us over the head with how your process was going to work. As if - well - we might just not get what the show was all about. As a result, me and mine liked about a third of the first half; 100% of the second."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't given any details about what exactly about the show was so appalling to you. Surely, if you are reviewing a show then you should at least give reasons as to why you didn't like it, rather than simply calling the piece of work drivel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care what you say about the Kennedy Center...not my country even...but when you take a stab at the geniouses of the RSC you've crossed the line, buddy! On the other hand, I guess not all people can be blessed with a good sense of humour! I'm so glad I am!

    ReplyDelete